Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Handling Conflict Effectively in Your Marriage

With marriage comes conflict.  No two persons are alike and this is a good thing.  You might otherwise find your marriage rather boring than the growing experience it is meant to be.  If you think of conflict as an opportunity, then you will more easily enjoy its benefits.

First, define what you want from conflict that will arise, along with what you don’t want.  For me, I do not want conflict to slowly destroy my marriage; I want conflict to help us become aware of any problems, change our bad habits, understand one another, clarify our goals, and ultimately grow together, as well as individually.  Keeping your goals in mind during conflicts will allow you to see more clearly and act intentionally, instead of just reacting.  I have noticed in my own marriage that as I remember my main goal, “to strengthen my marriage”, that I am calmer during our disagreements.

            Conflict management also requires that the appropriate communication style be identified for the situation.  This could include: avoiding, obliging, compromising, or collaborating.  You will only want to avoid a conflict if you don’t care about the issue.  You oblige when it is more important to give up what you want for what your spouse wants or again you don’t care about the decision.  You compromise when you cannot come to an agreement, but instead give a little to get a little.  My favorite is to collaborate because it is win-win, but it definitely requires some creativity to come up with a solution that you and your spouse agree on.

            Stop doing the following: start a discussion with a harsh criticism, criticize their character, deceive, compete, get defensive, “stonewall”, display contempt, be passive aggressive, be rigid or inflexible, allow negativity to escalate, become dramatic, and especially complain to others about the problem instead of your spouse.

            Start doing the following: care about your spouse and you, actively listen, empathize, validate feelings (not behavior), admit responsibility, apologize, make “repair” attempt, express anger in moderation, forgive past wrongs, and most importantly express positive things much more than negative things.

            I cannot say that I have ever enjoyed conflict, but I can admit that I have enjoyed some of the benefits as I manage the conflicts.  Though, one thing I still catch myself using is “you” statements when I know I should be using “I” statements.  I have messed up repeatedly, but I still want to improve and so I continue to work on replacing my tendencies with healthy habits.  When I realize I have started a conversation harshly I use a “repair attempt”, which is to apologize and then rephrase the problem more sensitively.  For example, instead of, or even after, saying, “You never turn off the lights when you leave the room!” you might say, “I’m sorry I shouldn't have said that.  Do over! I really just wanted you to turn off the light.”

Managing conflict is a skill that we must learn; it is certainly not in our genetic makeup.  The promise like with anything else is that with effort and practice it will get easier. 

Like me, you will most likely mess up and that is okay because the real goal is persistence.  Persistence is what will improve your marriage and bring the individual growth you desire.  So I challenge you to manage your next conflict more effectively.


-Watch the short video clips below and then do the activity below with your spouse.

I statements                

Repair Attempts

Requests

Activity:
1. Identify at least one of the items from the Stop list above (paragraph 4) that you have a tendency of doing. Next identify at least one of the healthy habits from the Start list above (paragraph 5) that you would like to replace this bad habit with.
2. Practice rephrasing “you” statements with “I” statements with each other. 
Ex. “You always leave your wrappers everywhere!” = “I would really appreciate it if you would make sure that your wrappers end up in the trash once you leave an area.” 
3. Practice “repair attempts” and “requests” with one another.

Ex. “You never do anything around the house.” = “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to say that.  May I start over?  I would appreciate some help around the house every once and a while.” Or “Will you do the dishes tonight?”

By Tawnya